What's the National Mechanism?
The Mechanism is a network of institutions which conserve and/or use plant genetic resources in Jamaica.
Its overall objective is to share information related to plant genetic resources and, in particular, to the implementation of the Global Plan of Action (GPA) on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (PGRFA) in Jamaica.
Specifically it is conceived as a tool for:
• Conserving the country's historical memory on PGRFA;
• Assisting decision-making processes on PGRFA in the country, including the identification of needs, the establishment of priorities, and the allocation of resources;
• Building stronger partnerships in PGRFA management among national stakeholders;
• Increasing understanding about the status and dynamics of PGRFA; and
• Meeting Jamaica's reporting obligations in international fora, such as the FAO Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture, the Convention on Biological Diversity, and the International Treaty on PGRFA.
This Mechanism together with similar Mechanisms established in several countries around the world consitute the building blocks of a global network for PGRFA information exchange under the FAO Commission on Genetic Resoruces for Food and Agriculture.
Through this Mechanism, participating institutions are given an opportunity to highlight their efforts, contribute to decision-making processes and to widen their visibility at national and international levels.
Based on the information available through this Mechanism, a country report on the State of Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture in Jamaica has been prepared. It will be submitted to the FAO Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture as the Jamaican contribution to the preparation of the Second Report on the State of the World's Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture.
How does it operate?
Through the voluntary contribution of national institutions, coordinated by the GPA National Focal Point in collaboration with the National Informal Steering Committee.
Who can participate into it and how?
All stakeholders, specifically, public or private institutions, organizations, enterprises which contribute to the conservation and sustainable utilization of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture in the country can be part of the Mechanism by contacting the National Focal Point.